Makhane ki kheer is a sweet dessert pudding made with Makhana (foxnuts), milk, ghee, sugar and dry fruits.
1. Heat 2 to 3 teaspoons ghee in a pan.
2. Add 1 cup phool makhana.
3. Roast the makhana on low to medium-low heat in ghee till the makhana become crunchy.
4. Then remove them on a plate and keep them aside.
5. Add cashews (10-12) & Almonds(10-12) Stir often while roasting them till cashew become golden.
6. Grind or blend mixer but not to a fine powder..
5. Heat 2 cups milk (750 ml) in a saucepan or a thick bottomed pan. Keep the heat to medium-low to medium. Stir at intervals so that the milk does not scorch from the bottom
6. Let the milk come to a boil.
7. Whilst the milk is getting heated up, add Saffron (pre soaked in lukewarm water)
8. Add makhna and dryfruit powder and stir at intervals.
Also add crushed cardamom seeds from 4 green cardamom pods.
9. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes on a low to medium heat till the makhana softens and the milk thickens a bit. Do stir at intervals. Scrape the evaporated milk solids from the sides and add to the kheer.
10. switch off the flame and add raisins.
11. Serve makhane ki kheer hot or warm or chilled. After refrigeration, the kheer’s consistency thickens a bit.